Thursday, March 12, 2009

What drink will ruin your teeth?


At last the science fair project is complete! For the past month Cobi and I have been working on his science fair project. A local oral surgeon collected teeth for us. We soaked the teeth in 5 different drinks. 1-coffee, 2-coca-cola, 3-apple juice, 4-milk, and 5-water. The water was more of a control sample. It was just to show what would happen to a tooth naturally. So which drink do you think was the worst? The soda? The coffee? Nope, it was the apple juice! Ok, I have to admit that we were surprised too. We thought that the soda would be the worst for sure. Now don't get me wrong, the soda tooth looks bad, along with the coffee, but the apple juice was worse. The soda and coffee stained the teeth, but did not cause cavities. The apple juice actually ate off the enamel of the tooth and caused cavities. So next time you pour a big glass of juice - brush your teeth!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I knew there was a reason I didn't like apple juice !! My teeth are safe !! What a fun project and I'll bet Cobi will never forget it and will brush his teeth with vigor !!

Grandmotherfairy said...

I LOVE water!!!!!

Unknown said...

Wow!!! That is a great Science Fair project!!! and, interesting about the Apple Juice. Amazing!!!

Anonymous said...

I don't think we will buy as much apple juice anymore. Love Mom